Thursday, March 7, 2013

Faith... the tiny seed

The last few weeks I have been taken up a challenge to read the Book of Mormon in 60 days. It has been many years since I have had time or the opportunity to read so much of the scriptures at one time. This experiment has led to quite a few insights that have helped me simplify my life. For starters to fully experience the joys of the Book of Mormon I deactivated my Facebook account. This was and still is difficult for me. The fact that it has been over 3 weeks since I haven't been on Facebook and I still crave it tells me I have MAJOR Facebookolism. I also decided to try and focus on attributes that I am trying to work on in order to fully see examples of them in use in every day life through the eyes of the prophets that recorded their testimonies in the Book of Mormon. Attributes such as hope, faith, optimism, etc (Nephi is SOOO optimistic its unreal).
 Three weeks into this experiment I have noticed a significant change in my perspective with my children and the attitude I carry throughout the day as I tend to their needs.
Before I would act as though my life was difficult and at time impossible to handle where the children at times seemed to be the biggest inconvenience in my journey of self-progression- I know how selfish this sounds... but it had to be said. Throughout the course of this journey, I have felt each day to be a greater and more bounteous blessing than the day before. I know this sounds so cliche and so typical of one these types of posts, but its true. I feel the blessing and see the blessing as opposed to simply knowing in my head its a blessing. Because my perspective has changed, I have noticed small ways my children tell me they want my attention or ways they need me. Missy will get very quiet and sneak off somewhere if I am preoccupied with something.Once I find her, she always knows that what she is doing is probably naughty and gets that "I'm guilty"with a hint of "But you weren't watching me, I needed to entertain myself somehow" look on her face. Jj becomes extremely whiny when he feels not enough attention is being given to him. He will also run up to me with his arms open wide and yell "Mama!" Its the sweetest thing ever! Both children with this change of perspective have transformed from naughty kids to these adorable well behaved children that seem to do everything I tell them. Did they change, or was it me? I don't think children change overnight, it must have been me. Perspective is EVERYTHING.
The kids playing together. They love to play with one another!

Another aspect of my life that I have noticed a dramatic shift has been in my spiritual life. It no longer seems to be just skidding by and waiting for some extravagantly spiritual experience to hit me across the head. I feel I am riding a spiritual wave and enjoying all aspects of what the Spirit has to tell me and direct me to do. I am overwhelmed with gratitude for this added strength of spirit to help me endure the trials that come my way with a more pleasant and optimistic attitude. Again, ATTITUDE is everything.

To think that all of these and many more changes are occurring because I took the initiative and decided to read the scriptures with real intent and purpose is amazing. I am in awe at how quickly we truly do forget the spiritual lift we receive from doing our scripture study and saying our prayers. Opportunities to serve beyond yourself become abundantly clear as we go about our day. Moments where we are able to magnify our callings as mothers and fathers become apparent and clear as our children make decisions. We become a more intuitive people. The small act of planting the seed of reading the scriptures truly does grow into a tree of faith that can help us overcome the adversity we face in this short life.

No comments:

Post a Comment